The following information is being shared with our Edgewood families on how our district would provide continuous learning for our students in the event Edgewood would be closed for an extended period of time. The following plans would be activated to ensure our students are able to continue their education.
The Ohio Department of Education requires public schools, joint vocational schools, and chartered nonpublic schools to be open for instruction for a minimum of:
- 455 hours for students in half-day kindergarten;
- 910 hours for students in full-day kindergarten through Grade 6; and
- 1,001 hours for students in Grades 7-12.
Edgewood submitted the following hours for the 2019-2020 school year to the Ohio Department of Education:
- Grades K-6
- 176 planned days at 6.33 hours per day (1114.08 hours)
- Grades 7-11
- 176 planned days at 6.25 hours per day (1100 hours)
- Grade 12
- 173 planned days at 6.25 hours per day (1081.25 )
Edgewood planned for additional hours for the 2019-2020 school year. This action is taken each year to cover events, such as inclement weather, natural hazards, utility outages as well as medical outbreaks. Since the beginning of the school year through March 10, 2020, Edgewood has been closed a total of 15.5 hours due to a variety of events. Although additional hours remain, if Edgewood would need to implement continuous learning at home, the guidance provided to our students could include, but not be limited to the elements listed below:
- Grade K-5
- The use of online formats, such as Brain-POP Jr., SeeSaw, Google Classroom, etc.. to develop lessons and assignments.
- Dojo or other forms of digital communication would be used to send links to the class assignments to parents.
- Students would complete assignments and may submit their assignment online, using available technology from their home or local library depending upon the subject and/or teacher.
- Grades 6-12
- The use of online formats such as Google Classroom to communicate assignments to students.
- Students would complete and submit assignments through Google Classroom or the designated online format, using available technology from their home or local library depending upon the course and/or teacher.
- Virtual Academy and E-Labs
- Online learning is already in place and would continue as normal for any students enrolled in these programs.
Assignments will vary according to the grade level and needs of our students. Where applicable, modifications to accommodate student needs will be provided.
Reminder on How School Closings are Announced:
If Edgewood would be closed, for any period of time, we would notify our families and staff through our district’s normal communication channels. These includes:
- Mobile app: download our app: Edgewood City Schools,OH
- Website: www.edgewoodschools.com
- Facebook: /EdgewoodCitySchools
- Twitter: @EdgewoodCougs
- Local TV and radio stations
Please be aware: Dojo and Remind are not used to communicate school closing news.