Grade 8 Language Arts
Here is the standard your child is working on with Mrs. Creekbaum.
- RL.8.1 Cite the textual evidence that most strongly supports an analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
- RI.8.1 Cite the textual evidence that most strongly supports an analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text
- RL.7.1 Cite several pieces of textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
- RI.7.1 Cite several pieces of textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
Here are the standards on which your child is working with Ms. Poe, Mrs. Nichols and Mrs. Yeckel.
- RL.8.3-Analyze how particular lines of dialogue or incidents in a story or drama propel the action, reveal aspects of a character, or provoke a decision.
- RL8.5- Compare and contrast the structure of two or more texts and analyze how the differing structure of each text contributes to its meaning and style.
- RL8.7- Analyze the extent to which a filmed or live production of a story or drama stays faithful to or departs from the text or script, evaluating the choices made by the director or actors.
- RL8.9- Analyze how a modern work of fiction draws on themes, patterns of events, or character types from myths, traditional stories, or religious works such as the Bible, including describing how the material is rendered new.
- RI8.5- Analyze in detail the structure of a specific paragraph in a text, including the role of particular sentences in developing and refining a key concept.
- RI8.7- Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of using different mediums (e.g., print or digital text, video, multimedia) to present a particular topic or idea.
W.8.1- Write arguments to support claims with clear reasons and relevant evidence.
W8.3- Write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, relevant descriptive details, and well-structured event sequences.
L8.5- Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships, and nuances in word meanings.
We encourage conversations about these standards so you can monitor your child's progress and understanding more effectively. Should you have any questions, please email your student's teacher by clicking on the Staff link on our Edgewood Middle School webpage, scroll down the list to locate the teacher and click on their email address, next to their photo.