HIGH SCHOOL COUNSELING
SAFETY & SECURITY
Edgewood City Schools is fully committed to curbing student bullying and school violence, and providing a positive learning environment for all students that enhances personal safety and promotes respect, dignity, and equality among students. We believe our schools play an important role in helping faculty, staff and parents prepare students to be respectful and responsible citizens. As part of our commitment, the district is enhancing our Safety telephone and online reporting tools for students, parents and staff. These tools were developed by former school officials, that provides:
Student training regarding the need to speak up about safety and bullying issues.
Staff training in recognizing and responding to incidents of bullying and violence.
Administrative systems to manage incidents and document district and school response to reported concerns of bullying or violence.
Edgewood Schools will make every effort to handle and respond to all charges and complaints filed by students, parents and employees in a fair, thorough, and just manner. Because we do want to follow up with every complaint, contact information from the person reporting an incident would help us with the investigation; however, is not required in order to submit a report. Also, every effort will be made to protect the due process rights of all victims and all alleged perpetrators.
Students who believe they have been harassed, bullied, victimized by fellow students, or have other concerns which may jeopardize the safety of students, employees or school facilities, are asked to Speak Up! and promptly report the issue using our district’s hotline – accessible both by telephone and online. This hotline can also be used by parents, guardians and staff members. Use any of the following options to report an issue:
1. CALL 1-866-547-8362 AND EITHER TALK WITH A LIVE ATTENDANT OR LEAVE A MESSAGE. WHEN THE STUDENT/PARENT/STAFF MEMBER TALKS WITH THE LIVE ATTENDANT, HE/SHE HAS THE OPTION OF BEING FORWARDED TO ONE OF THE FOLLOWING NATIONAL HOTLINES:
● 911 - Urgent response
● National AIDS Hotline - AIDS / HIV
● National Runaway Switchboard Homeless - Runaway
● NINELINE Hotline - Relationship issues involving peer/parent; alcohol/drug abuse
● RAINN Hotline - Sexual assault; domestic violence; physical abuse
● Suicide Crisis Center Hotline- Suicide prevention
2. FROM OUR DISTRICT WEBSITE AT: EDGEWOODSCHOOLS.COM YOU WILL SEE THE FOLLOWING IMAGE ON EVERY PAGE OF OUR WEBSITE. JUST CLICK ON THE IMAGE AND YOU'LL BE TAKEN TO AN INFORMATION PAGE SO YOU CAN REPORT YOUR CONCERN EITHER ONLINE OR BY PHONE.
Edgewood City Schools has contracted with a company called PUBLIC SCHOOL WORKS to provide this service. If you use the telephone reporting system, the person you will be talking with is not affiliated with our district. The attendant will listen to your issue, complete a written report, and then, if you'd like, transfer you to a specialist or other support person.
After you finish your call or make your report online, the district will receive a confidential report from PUBLIC SCHOOL WORKS. Your issue will then be investigated by our district.
To ensure your information is sufficient, please give names, times and event details which you feel we should know. Please try to provide as much information about the situation as possible.
This service is for the safety of everyone.