Inclement Weather Guidelines & Communications
The following guidelines are used by Edgewood City Schools when inclement weather occurs. The safety of our students and staff is the most important factor used in deciding whether to delay or close school.
Once winter weather predictions are announced by the National Weather Service, school officials monitor multiple forecasting tools, travel the roads, and check the actual conditions. The City of Trenton, Wayne Township, St. Clair Township, Butler County, and ODOT provide great service in clearing and maintaining our county roads and community streets.
- When inclement weather is a strong possibility or reality, one of two decisions will be made by the school administration: either we will be on a 2 hour delay or we will be closed. No announcement means "school as usual."
- When a 2 hour delay is issued, AM Preschool will be cancelled for that day.
- When possible, we will attempt to make the decision to delay or close school by 10:00 pm, the evening prior to the affected day. Multiple modes of communication (see details below) will be used to notify our students, parents, and staff by 10:30 pm.
- If we need to make the decision to delay or cancel school after 12:00 am, communications will be issued no earlier than 5:00 am.
- District offices remain open when school is cancelled or released early. District administrators, school principals, and central office staff will report to work when conditions are safe for them to do so. School building offices will not be open during regular hours.
Closing for Extreme Cold Weather
- Edgewood City Schools will close on days when the temperature and/or wind chill are below -20ºF or colder. Temperatures and/or wind chills of this extreme level are considered dangerously cold if exposure is over 10-15 minutes. With students walking to school and waiting at bus stops, we consider this extreme cold a safety issue.
- The National Weather Service issues a Wind Chill Warning when wind chills are -25 or colder.
Communicating Closures and Delays
In the event we experience inclement weather resulting in a 2 hour delay or closing, we will issue communications to students, parents, and staff through the following communication:
Blackboard/MyConnect- automated phone, email, & text messages to parents, staff & students
- If you are not signed up to receive important information from our district, sign up by clicking here. (Note: Calls issued through our district's phone notification system may take up to two hours to be delivered).
- The following local television, radio and sister stations (Our district is announced as EDGEWOOD CITY SCHOOLS):
- WLW/TV CH 5
- WCPO/TV CH 9
- WKRC/TV CH 12
- WXIX/TV CH 19
- WSTR/TV CH 64
- WLW/AM 700
- WCKY/AM 1530