- Type 2 diabetes accounts for about 90% to 95% of all diagnosed cases of diabetes; type 1 diabetes accounts for about 5%.
- More than 30 million people in the United States have diabetes, and 1 in 4 of them don’t know they have it.
- More than 84 million US adults—over a third—have prediabetes, and 90% of them don’t know they have it.
- Diabetes is the 7th leading cause of death in the United States (and may be under-reported).
- In the last 20 years, the number of adults diagnosed with diabetes has more than tripled as the American population has aged and become more overweight or obese.
Click here for an article about important facts that teachers should know regarding Type 1 Diabetes.